Round up to grade 3
Hi everyone!
For this post, I wanted to focus on some forms mathematics plays into real life scenarios much of what I use currently at work. As some of you may already be familiar I currently work in the fashion industry and constantly working with numbers. A major part of my role is making sure on paper i.e Powerpoint presentations and financial reports, our sales numbers look good for big customers before major management meetings.
So these documents and presentations will involve a lot of rounding, because the reality is no business partner wants to sit there and calculate exact numbers to get an idea of how their business is going especially if we're working with really large numbers...and I mean millions. For the sake of focusing on Grade 3 Common Core, Number and Operations in Base Ten 3.NBT.A1, I wanted to refresh my understanding on rounding numbers in tenths and hundredths place value.
Rounding to nearest 10
Rule - When rounding to the nearest 10, students must look at their one's place value and round UP if the number is more than 5. Students will round DOWN if the number in the one's place value is 4 or less than.
Here are some examples (the number in bold [one's place value] will determine if students should round up or down):
Using a number line is an effective tool for students struggling with arranging numbers in ascending order. I found this link that offers a zoomable number line (which includes decimals too) !
Once students have accomplished this method, we can begin to introduce rounding to the nearest 10 with larger numbers ! Rule of rounding to the nearest 10's applies no mater how large the number.
Let's use some of the examples listed above:
Now, let's repeat rounding the above to the nearest 100's:
Attached are some work sheets for students to take home or workout together in class as a group.
I would encourage students to recreate their own version of a number line that helps them best understand the concept of rounding.
Enjoy !
For this post, I wanted to focus on some forms mathematics plays into real life scenarios much of what I use currently at work. As some of you may already be familiar I currently work in the fashion industry and constantly working with numbers. A major part of my role is making sure on paper i.e Powerpoint presentations and financial reports, our sales numbers look good for big customers before major management meetings.
So these documents and presentations will involve a lot of rounding, because the reality is no business partner wants to sit there and calculate exact numbers to get an idea of how their business is going especially if we're working with really large numbers...and I mean millions. For the sake of focusing on Grade 3 Common Core, Number and Operations in Base Ten 3.NBT.A1, I wanted to refresh my understanding on rounding numbers in tenths and hundredths place value.
Rounding to nearest 10
Rule - When rounding to the nearest 10, students must look at their one's place value and round UP if the number is more than 5. Students will round DOWN if the number in the one's place value is 4 or less than.
Here are some examples (the number in bold [one's place value] will determine if students should round up or down):
On a number line we would look at numbers 10 through 50
$46, $28, $12, $25 = $50, $30, $10, $30
Rounding to the nearest 100
Rule - Quite similar as the rule for rounding to nearest 10 however, students must now look at their ten's place value and round UP if the number is more than 5. Students will round DOWN if the number in the tenth's place value is 4 or less than.
Here are some examples (the number in bold [tenths place value] will determine if students should round up or down):
On a number line we would look at numbers 100 through 500
$152, $176, $234, $345 = $200, $200, $200, $300
Once students have accomplished this method, we can begin to introduce rounding to the nearest 10 with larger numbers ! Rule of rounding to the nearest 10's applies no mater how large the number.
Let's use some of the examples listed above:
$152, $234 = $150, $230
Let's try LARGER:
$4674, $5268, $6995 = $4670, $5270, $7000
Now, let's repeat rounding the above to the nearest 100's:
$4674, $5268, $6995 = $4700, $5300, $7000
Attached are some work sheets for students to take home or workout together in class as a group.
I would encourage students to recreate their own version of a number line that helps them best understand the concept of rounding.
Enjoy !


Comments
Post a Comment