Riddle me this...
After week 8 reading from principles to actions text regarding access & equity, I was inspired to research ways English Language Learners are being taught content and topics. This week I wanted to focus on giving homage to EL students of the second grade.
Based on the NYS common core standards, second grade should focus on :
1. extending understanding of base-ten notation
2. building fluency with addition and subtraction
3. using standard units of measure
4. describing and analyzing shapes
Building fluency triggered my thinking immediately with regards to students that require the English Language Programs. I personally really enjoy working on word problems because I get to break something apart. Since this blog post will focus on building fluency I wanted to demonstrate it through representing and solving word problems involving addition and subtraction.
Here are a few simple rules teachers should follow to make for a successful lesson to EL students:
-avoid culturally biased word problems
-use cooperative learning strategies
-have students write their own word problems (as a check for understanding)
-use video material, presentations, theatre play
-create material in which students have to fill in the gaps
We can introduce the concept of word problems with posing a scenario :
Example: I am going to the work at a carnival this weekend to sell delicious treats at a food truck! I plan to sell 14 pink cotton candies and 23 blue cotton candies. How many cotton candies will I plan to sell?
Based on the NYS common core standards, second grade should focus on :
1. extending understanding of base-ten notation
2. building fluency with addition and subtraction
3. using standard units of measure
4. describing and analyzing shapes
Building fluency triggered my thinking immediately with regards to students that require the English Language Programs. I personally really enjoy working on word problems because I get to break something apart. Since this blog post will focus on building fluency I wanted to demonstrate it through representing and solving word problems involving addition and subtraction.
Here are a few simple rules teachers should follow to make for a successful lesson to EL students:
-avoid culturally biased word problems
-use cooperative learning strategies
-have students write their own word problems (as a check for understanding)
-use video material, presentations, theatre play
-create material in which students have to fill in the gaps
We can introduce the concept of word problems with posing a scenario :
Example: I am going to the work at a carnival this weekend to sell delicious treats at a food truck! I plan to sell 14 pink cotton candies and 23 blue cotton candies. How many cotton candies will I plan to sell?
For EL students we would:
- Show students a picture of a carnival to support understanding of the scenario.
- Define the vocabulary word problem in student's home language if student is literate in home language.
- Call on different students to answer the problem to promote class participation.
- Provide an example of a simplified story problem.
Encourage student to sit close to the teacher and encourage read aloud of the word problems.
During read aloud, have students identify the operations that are being used for individual word problems. Write these word clues on the board, as the read aloud is going on. Create visuals that go along with the clue words to support student understanding.
Example: addition = join, together, more; subtraction = difference, went away, less.
Then, display a word problem that has nothing to do with the scenario this should confirm understanding of the concept.
Example: "11 new library books were added to the bookshelf. 4 of the books were checked out by the end of the day. How many new library books remain?"
We should model solving one problem before having the student try another, a similarly worded problem. For EL students it is important to encourage students to draw a visual representation of the story problem.
We need to remember to provide students with access to manipulatives, number lines, hundreds boards, whiteboards and whiteboard markers, etc.
It is also very important to make sure students feel included, therefore we should allow students to share aloud and provide student feedback.
Let's put it into practice by providing the above worksheet...
EL students will work in a small, teacher-led group. We can have students come up with their own story problem, using a situation that is relevant from their life or easily edit the names on the worksheet with their own names. Once completed we should help students draw a picture of their story problem or use phrases, words, and gestures to explain how they solved the problem during independent work time.
Here is the link for great lesson plan resources. CLICK HERE.
Enjoy !

Comments
Post a Comment