How to make Math fun?
Hi all !
Hope everyone is having a great week!
For this week's post I wanted to highlight JEOPARDY! as a fun in classroom activity to use with students across all grade levels. I personally love jeopardy, although I may not know the answers a majority of the time I find it's a great way to stimulate the brain!
I think using a game like Jeopardy as an in classroom activity would be a fun way to assess students and monitor students understanding of mathematics content. Using this resource can overcome any challenges teachers have to determine which topics may need some additional attention, for students to gather in depth understanding of content. It can also serve as a way to encourage students to engage by collaborating with one another to find multiple ways of problem solving thinking.
The site I found, jeopardylabs.com actually allows you create your own game title, category names, add rows or add columns. The neat thing is you can use this across all subjects and as I mentioned all grade levels! If maybe you're against handing out worksheets as a method to get students to review content, you can use the same questions found on a worksheet and create a game of jeopardy from all the questions! You can focus on a specific unit or cover a multitude of topics within the grade level.
For teachers that find it challenging to get some time out to create an impactful game from scratch, the website has a search options by simply inputting a few keywords and you will find thousands of already generated games.
Here is the link to one I began to create!
You can make the game challenging as you go as well as find ways to incorporate discussion through the way the questions are asked.
Hope everyone is having a great week!
For this week's post I wanted to highlight JEOPARDY! as a fun in classroom activity to use with students across all grade levels. I personally love jeopardy, although I may not know the answers a majority of the time I find it's a great way to stimulate the brain!
I think using a game like Jeopardy as an in classroom activity would be a fun way to assess students and monitor students understanding of mathematics content. Using this resource can overcome any challenges teachers have to determine which topics may need some additional attention, for students to gather in depth understanding of content. It can also serve as a way to encourage students to engage by collaborating with one another to find multiple ways of problem solving thinking.
The site I found, jeopardylabs.com actually allows you create your own game title, category names, add rows or add columns. The neat thing is you can use this across all subjects and as I mentioned all grade levels! If maybe you're against handing out worksheets as a method to get students to review content, you can use the same questions found on a worksheet and create a game of jeopardy from all the questions! You can focus on a specific unit or cover a multitude of topics within the grade level.
For teachers that find it challenging to get some time out to create an impactful game from scratch, the website has a search options by simply inputting a few keywords and you will find thousands of already generated games.
Here is the link to one I began to create!
You can make the game challenging as you go as well as find ways to incorporate discussion through the way the questions are asked.
https://jeopardylabs.com/play/math-mania-219
Here is another I found through the search option on the website:
Attached are the questions and answers in a printable format too !
Hope you enjoy and find a way to implement this in your classrooms with your students!

Tanisha,
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh, I love this! I literally use to use Jeopardy all the time in my classroom when I had standard students. The game is always fun, but it is very time consuming to come up the clues and the questions, the answers. Let me tell you, the game always worked getting everyone involved. As the students neared state assessments, we would actually play two or three times a week. It is a great review tool. It is also completely customizable to your students so that it covers what you feel they may need more help on. I love that you found a website, maybe it will make it a little easier to do. I also liked the questions that you had as they are appropriate for my kids I currently have. I don't know how it will work out, but it will be interesting to give it a try with 4 of my kids. Great job! And thanks for the resource.
Hi Tanisha,
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting this! Personally, I love Jeopardy. I look forward to using this with my students in the future. Kids really have fun playing a game like this and I think it would be a great and fun way review math or any other subject the day before a test. I have seen this used in classrooms and it is a success. I like the questions you chose for the game too. Nice job.