Welcome to 1st Grade
Hi Everyone!
This week I wanted to take a deeper look into the Common Core NYS Standards for 1st Grade. In New York State, 1st graders are instructed to focus on four specific areas:
This week I wanted to take a deeper look into the Common Core NYS Standards for 1st Grade. In New York State, 1st graders are instructed to focus on four specific areas:
2. number and operations in base ten (1. NBT)
3. measurement and data (1. MD)
4. geometry (1. G)
The best way to cover the concept of organize, represent and interpret data is by converting simple word problems or pictures into pictographs, tally charts or tables.
Here is an example of how the student could work on organizing data:
Hopefully the student will organize the messy image above into a clear chart like below. Students can recreate their own version of the 3 images by drawing them, they can use tally marks to represent the items, or they can cut out the scattered images to arrange them. In doing all of this, students will also practice their place value determining largest to smallest value of items.Here is a good format that represents both of these concepts, which can also help students learn how to read graphs and design bar graphs:
Here is a PDF worksheet that ties into this activity:
To ask and answer questions about the data students could determine votes or preferences of items. Here is a useful example to help students develop skills of asking and answering questions about data.
Lastly, students can develop their understanding of how many of an item and how many more than or less than, of an item.
I found an effective way to put this concept into practice is by dividing the class into groups, provide 3 different objects and different totals of each to all groups. Each group will work together to determine how many of each item which they will later share with the class. Some ideas for objects to use are beans, blocks, coins, counters, cubes, or paper clips (different sizes) to name a few.
https://www.k-5mathteachingresources.com/support-files/shape-graph.pdf
As I researched standard 1.MD C 4, I came across this website (https://www.ixl.com/math/grade-1) that I find could be useful to review in class with students and determine their understanding of this grade 1 unit.
Enjoy!





Hi Tanisha,
ReplyDeleteGreat lesson plan! I like the visual aspects of the lesson plan because I think they make it way easier for a student to understand. In the furniture visual, it's easy for students to pair together what objects belong to what group. I tried something similar with my preschool students using different colored legos. I had them organize and group together the pieces that looked the same in terms of color, and they were able to do that successfully because they could visually see the different colors in front of them. I also asked them to then organize by shape -- and put things with straight edges in one group, and things with curved edges in another. The last step I tried was to have them organize pictures instead of physical objects -- for example, we did an activity where we had pictures of different weather patterns and had them put the pictures into groups of cold and warm weather. The visualization really helped!
Hi Tanisha!
ReplyDeleteI think diving into the common core standards for first or any grade is a fantastic idea. I am not 100% familiar with the Common Core NYS Standards being that I am from NJ, but in the future it will be extremely beneficial to understand of course. Learning how to organize data early is MOST important. I am a super organized person especially with presenting work, and I definitely thank my teachers from elementary school and so on for teaching this at such an early age. If a student presents his or her work unorganized, us teachers may not see the clear answer right away. Giving students the opportunity to practice organizing their work is awesome, so I love that you incorporated an idea like that!
Awesome job!
Alex