How much out of 100?

I currently work in a corporate office for a Men's Fashion Company where reviewing weekly selling reports and quarterly sales reports is part of my daily responsibility. The main goal of these reports, is to determine how, as a company we are increasing or decreasing in sales.

When I first started working here, I was nervous on the scale I would have to dive into using my rusty math skills. Quickly I began to notice while I am required to review such reports and provide them to the Executive Vice President of Sales in my company, I realized I had the support of excel ! So instead it became a journey of mastering excel and the formulas that would automatically calculate those numbers. Then I began this course...

I got to thinking, as a student what would I need to master to be successful in a company like the one I am currently in? As a company we are always concerned what the percentage increase for selling units or retail sales. So for this personal learning path I decided to research and re-visit the basics of percentages because percentages is what I use pretty frequently and well they are part of our daily lives.

What is percentage? 
Percent means out of "100" So the number we are in search for should be divided by 100.
With percentages, I am able to:

1. convert percentages into decimals by moving the decimals 2 places to the left.
Example: 50% = 0.50

2. decimals can be converted into percentages by moving the decimal 2 places to the right or multiply the decimal by 100.
Example: 0.43 = 43% 

3. convert a fraction into a percentage by multiplying by 100 and then divide.
1/2 x100 would be 1x100 = 100 then, 100 divided by 2 would be 50.

Therefore, 1/2 is 50%

Here is another example using a bit large numbers:

I have a total of 200 neckties to sell at a Men's department store by Sunday. So far I have sold a total of 42 neckties. What is the percentage of neckties I have sold so far?

42 x100 = 4200, then divide 4200 by 200. My answer is 21%

Attached to this learning path is a worksheet to have students practicing on getting comfortable in working with percentages !



Convert
Percent
7/10
70%
.54

43/100

0.50

2/7

.25

4/5

0.30

41/74


Comments

  1. Hi Tanisha!

    First of all- so cool that you chose a math task that is relevant to your current career field and daily life! I like how you broke down different ways and strategies for converting percentages and decimals and relating them to the larger number. I thought it was awesome how you used a word problem to deepen understanding about percentages using a real-world situation, and then showed how you'd solve it. Super informative and helpful!

    Danielle

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment