Art in Math

In the spirit of Valentine's Day, I looked for some ways I could incorporate the yearly celebration into a lesson!

So, this week I decided to focus on one of the 8 addition strategies, sketching. I decided I wanted to find some cool ways to include creativity in a math problem.

As an elementary school student I gravitated to visual learning and holding a Bachelor's in Textile Design I still gravitate to sprucing up other subjects with forms of art.  It was always best if I was given the freedom to draw out an image of how I solved problems. Many times I found myself creating my own word problem or story using the numbers from an equation provided.

Here is a sweet worksheet I found, that helps students with addition problem using chocolate kisses.
A few ways I would revise the worksheet to provide a better understanding of the sketching strategy is by removing the chocolate kisses in the boxes. In doing this I would allow students demonstrate their own sketching technique using their own Valentine's Day symbols.

As I move up in grade levels using this same worksheet, I would increase the numbers into tens and hundredths place value. I would than designate a valentine's day symbol to hold the place of ones, tens and hundreds which should help students with addition.

hearts = ones
arrow - tens
cupcakes = hundredths 


Enjoy !

Comments

  1. I love the idea of using holidays and classroom themes to tie math into what’s going on during the year and what the class is learning in other subjects. An activity like this could be incorporated into the class’s Valentines Day celebrations and the students will practice their skills. Which is great, because even though there is a festive atmosphere to the day, there still has to be some consistency and adherence to the curriculum. This activity has the added bonus of being fun because of the chocolate kisses being added. The activity doesn’t lend itself so much to higher cognitive engagement but, when you added the twist of having the students draw their own symbols you draw their engagement and thinking farther which is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tanisha! I think you did a fantastic job with this post. I believe that incorporating holidays way to be creative. Your worksheet is very helpful for visual learners. It is always good for a student to associate recognizable items with numbers. It is a great way to reinforce addition. I also like how you can modify the worksheet for different grade levels and introducing the hearts, arrows, and cupcakes to symbolize units, rods, and flats to match the holiday theme is excellent. Activities like this connect classroom concepts to something a student can relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tanisha
    I was also thinking integrating holidays to the lesson plan. I think kids always can tell holidays, so it is great hook for interest in any class. I love how you set it up so organized. I will be saving some of this ideas. Awesome job!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment